Labrys is a replacement for Windows Start menu and Run dialog. "Sharp on both sides"
Unlike many other Start menu enchantment applications Labrys does not mimic layout or visual appearance of Start menus existing prior to Windows 8. Instead Labrys uses fresh approaches to provide rapid access to applications and command-line utilities with keyboard, mouse and touch.
This software is free for non-commercial usage. No warranties are implied, you are using this software on your own risk.
Labrys is distributed as offline installer that includes both 32-bit and 64-bit variants of Labrys as well as Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package for Visual Studio 2017. Labrys is not digitally signed.
Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 1809.
- Uncompromised user interface that is good for keyboard, mouse and touch.
- Fast navigation in applications list with alphabetical index.
- Prudent screen space usage - menu width can be manually adjusted while whole height is used.
- Supports minimalistic view - without icons or large menu items.
- Filters for shortcuts.
- Alphabetical index of stat menu items.
- Fast substring search for applications.
- Combined search / command box.
- Mouse and touch gestures to launch application with elevated privileges (swipe to the left) and to get shortcut target (swipe to the right).
- Jumplists are displayed for all the applications that provide them.
- Can launch modern (metro) apps.
- Offers full list of power options.
- Flexible color theme configuration.
- Command autocompletion from history.
- File paths completion.
- Customizable list of command executors.
- Resource-friendly in terms of both memory consumption and computation power.
- Supports Hi-DPI displays.
- Proper Unicode support.
- English and Russian localizations.
- This software uses undocumented Windows features that may stop working in the future.
Removing jumplist entries is not yet supported.
- Shortcuts changes are not being monitored yet. Implementing this for modern applications is problematic.
Some options (list of shortcut folders) are adjustable only through configuration file. Reloading of the shortcuts is somewhat slow.
- There is no support for blur and transparency effects and currently there are no plans to implement it.
- Executing jumplist items with elevated privileges is not supported.
Background color is taken from the windows theme, possibility to manually assign it will be added in the newer versions.
- Support for accessibility means is not yet implemented.
- Killing Explorer process leads to Labrys crash.
- Resetting (reinstalling) video driver leads to Labrys crash. (this may be related to the previous issue)
On Windows 10 some of the "modern" apps are listed with color squares as icons (background and icon color are the same). On Windows 10 some jumplists are not loaded. Start button context menu often doesn't popup when being invoked using "press and hold" touch gesture.
- Some programs have empty jumplists. This might be caused by jumplist loading failure, however most often they are really empty but Labrys still displays jumplist arror because jumplists being loaded only on demand.
- Labrys does not modify or replace any of the system files.
- Labrys does not require elevated privileges to work.